English to Speakers of Other Languages M.A.T.
The English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree program is designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to obtain an initial teaching certification in ESOL.
English language teachers are responsible for constructing learning environments that supports English Language Learners' cultural identities, languages, and literacy development. With the increasing numbers of English learners in Georgia, we need highly skilled and compassionate, advocacy-oriented teachers.
All successful graduates will be ready to be hired by some of the most prominent schools in the Atlanta region. This program will lead your passion into a professional career, providing an initial teacher certification in ESOL, and the requirements for a Reading Endorsement, to individuals with an interest in teaching ESOL at the middle or secondary level (6-12).
In order to qualify for a Georgia educator initial teaching certification, our program prepares students to meet the following Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Seeking initial teaching certification in middle or secondary education
- Desire to teach ESOL in an urban middle or high school
- Minimum of four semesters
- Program can be completed from Summer of first year through Summer of following year.
- Total of 45 semester hours is required to receive your degree
- Atlanta Public Schools
- Cobb County School District
- DeKalb County School District
- Fulton County School District
- Gwinnett County School District
All initial teacher preparation program candidates must pass a state mandated teacher performance assessment, the edTPA, at the end of their programs in order to become certified in Georgia. The teacher performance assessment is designed to measure a candidate’s ability to help all students learn. Teacher candidates are required to demonstrate knowledge and skills in planning, teaching, assessing and analyzing student learning. Our most recent cohort had a 100% pass rate.
English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) - 4/4
Course Description & Classes
Visit our graduate admissions page for:
- application deadlines
- application requirements
- how to apply
If you need information about a program in our College, fill out our request information form.