Physics B.S./Science Education M.A.T.
Undergraduate students in the Bachelor of Science with a major in Physics can apply to the M.A.T. in Science Education if they meet the following requirements.
Dana L. Fox, Chair
- Students must participate in pre-advising sessions with faculty in the Department of Physics and Astronomy.
- Students must have completed at least 30 hours of academic credit (including MATH 2211 and PHYS 2211K).
- Students must have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3.
- Students may apply to the option at any time after completing 30 hours but prior to completing 90 hours of undergraduate coursework.
- Applicants are applying for early acceptance into the M.A.T. Science Education program and therefore must submit the following documentation in addition to meeting the GPA requirement.
- Complete the B.S./M.A.T. application form. This will be kept on file in the Department of Physics and Astronomy and in the Office of Academic Assistance in the College of Arts and Sciences.
- 2-3 letters of recommendation: (a) one academic or professional letter; (b) one letter from someone who can evaluate the applicant’s personal qualifications, experience, and background in light of potential to work successfully with adolescents; (c) one letter from a current work supervisor, if applicable.
- Documentation of previous work experience (resume or curriculum vitae).
- Personal statement of goals and/or reasons for teaching.
- Successful interview of appropriate faculty in the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Department of Middle-Secondary and Instructional Technology.
Dana L. Fox, Chair
- Formal acceptance into the M.A.T. portion of the program will be contingent upon the following:
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Completion of 90 hours towards the B.S. degree in Physics (including PHYS 7460 and PHYS 7850):
- Submission of passing scores on the GACE Basic Skills Assessment or demonstrate an exemption upon application to the program. The current options for satisfying the Basic Skills Assessment, including the exemptions, are outlined at www.gapsc.com/documentation/basicskillsinfo.asp. Under “Basic Skills Testing,” go to “Options to Satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement”.
- Submission of acceptable GRE scores;
- Filing an application to the M.A.T. program by the appropriate deadline.
- Acceptance into the Teacher Education track is contingent upon acceptance into the M.A.T. portion, completion of 24 hours in physics, and passing or exempting the GACE Basic Skills test.