English Education M.A.T.
Dr. Michelle Zoss
The program requires a minimum of 45 semester hours of graduate coursework.
|Entrance Test||Undergraduate GPA||Recommendation Letters||Other Supporting Materials|
|GRE and GACE Test of Basic Skills||2.50||2 recs||goals statement, resume|
In addition to the basic admission requirements the following is required for the MAT in English Education program:
Undergraduate or graduate degree in English or the equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university. An equivalent degree (e.g. speech, drama, journalism) must include course work consisting of at least 24 semester hours of upper-division credit in English content, including a minimum of three semester hours in each of the following areas:
- American literature
- British literature
- Written composition
- History or structure of the English language
The department may specify other requirements.
Students in this program will be eligible to be recommended for Georgia initial certification after earning passing scores on the GACE Basic Skills Assessment and GACE Content Assessment for English and successfully completing:
- All content courses recommended for each individual by MSE and Arts and Sciences faculty upon admission to the program;
- Students must complete EXC 4020 Characteristics and Instructional Strategies for Students with Disabilities (3) or its equivalent to be eligible for recommendation for certification in addition to the program of study requirements;
- EPY 7080, The Psychology of Learning and Learners (3), and
- EDCI 6600, Introduction to Secondary Teaching (3); EDCI 7660, Practicum I (3); EDCI 7670, Practicum II (3); EDCI 7680, Practicum III (3); EDLA 6550, Principles of English Instruction (3); EDLA 7550, Theory and Pedagogy of English Instruction (3); and EDRD 7630, Literacy in the Content Areas (3); and
- Successful presentation of a professional portfolio.
For additional program information contact the initial TEEMS advisor at (404) 413-8060 or email TEEMS@gsu.edu