Mathematics Education M.A.T.
Teacher Education in English, English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Mathematics, Middle Level Education, Social Studies and Science (TEEMS) is offered through the Department of Middle and Secondary Education. Mathematics Education is one of seven TEEMS Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree programs designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to obtain an initial teaching certification in their chosen field.
According to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, math teachers ensure all students have access to, and are empowered by, the opportunities mathematics affords. If you have a passion for subjects related to algebra, geometry, statistics and calculus, and you have little or no experience teaching middle or high school students, this master's program may be right for you.
- Provides individuals with an interest in teaching mathematics education at the secondary level (6-12) with initial teacher certification.
In order to qualify for a Georgia educator initial teaching certification, our program prepares students to meet the following Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics or the equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- Seeking initial teaching certification in middle or secondary education
- Desire to teach mathematics related courses in an urban middle or high school
- A minimum of 36 semester hours is required to receive your degree
- 3 semesters or 1 academic year
- Atlanta Public Schools
- Cobb County School District
- DeKalb County School District
- Fulton County School District
- Gwinnett County School District
All initial teacher preparation program candidates must pass a state mandated teacher performance assessment, the edTPA, at the end of their programs in order to become certified in Georgia. The teacher performance assessment is designed to measure a candidate’s ability to help all students learn. Teacher candidates are required to demonstrate knowledge and skills in planning, teaching, assessing and analyzing student learning. Please see as follows the number of teacher candidates who passed the edTPA out of the total number of candidates who successfully submitted the edTPA in the program, subject-specific area.
Secondary Mathematics - 4/4
Course Description & Classes
For information about application steps, requirements and deadlines for graduate school, visit our extensive Graduate Admissions Information page.
Math M.A.T. Alumna Awarded 2015 PAEMST