Mathematics Education M.A.T.
Teacher Education in English, English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Mathematics, Middle Level Education, Social Studies and Science (TEEMS) is offered through the Department of Middle and Secondary Education. Mathematics Education is one of seven TEEMS Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree programs designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to obtain an initial teaching certification in their chosen field.
According to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, math teachers ensure all students have access to, and are empowered by, the opportunities mathematics affords. The Master of Arts in Teaching Mathematics provides individuals with an interest in teaching mathematics education at the secondary level (6-12) with initial teacher certification at the T5 level.
Funding Your Education
Learn more about funding your graduate education:
- Use your science, technology, engineering or math degree to teach students in high-need schools
- Visit our website - Woodrow Wilson Georgia Teaching Fellowship
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics or the equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- Seeking initial teaching certification in middle or secondary education
- Desire to teach mathematics related courses in an urban middle or high school
- A minimum of 36 semester hours is required to receive your degree
- 4 semesters or 1 academic year
- Atlanta Public Schools
- Cobb County School District
- DeKalb County School District
- Fulton County School District
- Gwinnett County School District
All initial teacher preparation program candidates must pass a state mandated teacher performance assessment, the edTPA, at the end of their programs in order to become certified in Georgia. The teacher performance assessment is designed to measure a candidate’s ability to help all students learn. Teacher candidates are required to demonstrate knowledge and skills in planning, teaching, assessing and analyzing student learning. Our most recent cohort boasted a 100% edTPA passing rate.
Secondary Mathematics - 4/4
Course Description & Classes
Math M.A.T. Alumna Awarded 2015 PAEMST
Visit our graduate admissions page for:
- application deadlines
- application requirements
- how to apply
Want more information? Fill this out.