Social Studies Education M.A.T.
Teacher Education in English, English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), Mathematics, Middle Level Education, Social Studies and Science (TEEMS) is offered through the Department of Middle and Secondary Education. Social Studies Education is one of seven TEEMS Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree programs designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree and wish to obtain an initial teaching certification in their chosen field.
According to the National Council for Social Studies, social studies educators are responsible for teaching students the content knowledge, intellectual skills, and civic values necessary for fulfilling the duties of citizenship in a participatory democracy. If you have a passion for subjects related to history, geography, economics, or political sciences, and you have little or no experience teaching middle or high school students, this master’s program may be right for you.
- Provides individuals with an interest in teaching social sciences at the secondary level (6-12) with initial teacher certification
- Concentrations: history, political science, geography and economics
In order to qualify for a Georgia educator initial teaching certification, our program prepares students to meet the following Georgia Professional Standards Commission requirements:
- GACE Program Admission Assessment
- GACE Content Assessment
- Georgia Educator Ethics Assessments
- Content Pedagogy Assessment, or edTPA
- Bachelor's degree in history, or in one or more of the social sciences, from accredited college or university
- Seeking initial teaching certification
- Desire to teach social studies in an urban middle or high school
- A minimum of 45 semester hours is required to receive your degree
- 4 semesters or 1.5 years
- Atlanta Public Schools
- Cobb County School District
- DeKalb County School District
- Fulton County School District
- Gwinnett County School District
Course Description & Classes
STEPS REQUIREMENTS DEADLINES
Request Program Information